Recent Posts

3.07.2011

Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies


I've mentioned before that I have a 2011 Kitchen Resolution List. This year, I want to make real effort to cook with new-to-me ingredients, explore different techniques and...bake (duhn duhn duhn!). To be honest, baking scares the pants off of me. I really love the creative aspect of cooking and to me, baking seems like more of a science--a subject I was never very good at or particularly cared for.
The syrup and sugar will give the bacon a burned
appearance, but shouldn't affect the taste.

I think the reason I've to this point been intimidated by baking is you make one misstep and the whole experiment goes awry. Not enough yeast? The bread doesn't rise. Beat the eggs for too short of a time? Your soufflé falls. Forget the baking powder? Those biscuits will be flat, hard discs. And do you know how many different opinions there are on whether or not to salt cookies?!

However, it's March and baking is the only Kitchen Resolution I have yet to tackle successfully tackle (There was one, unfortunate biscuit incident. See above comment about baking powder), so I put aside my baking doubt and decided on cookies. The creativity is what draws me to cooking, so I didn't want to make just any plain old Jane recipe. I searched for hours, but couldn't find anything I liked. Finally, I consulted my mom (a cookie baking extraordinaire) to help me come up with a basic cookie recipe. Then, I spiced it up a bit.

Ideally, let the cookies cool for
at least 5 minutes.

Now, I was pretty nervous that not only was I making cookies from scratch, by myself for the first time, but it was also my *own* recipe. And thankfully, I couldn't be happier with how they turned out! Hope you enjoy.

Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes Approximately 36 cookies

  • 1/2 lb. bacon
  • 3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks), room temperature
  • 1/4 cup bacon grease*, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar + 1 tablespoon
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup + 1 tablespoon
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Coat bacon slices in maple syrup and lightly dust with brown sugar. Fry over medium high heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels and then chop once cooled.

2. Preheat the oven to 350. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a one bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, beat sugar, butter and bacon grease on high until fluffy. Reduce to medium speed and add eggs, vanilla and maple syrup. Mix until combined.

4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients in thirds until combined. Stir in the bacon and chocolate chunks and chips with a wooden spoon.

5. Using a spoon, shape dough into 1 inch balls and place half an inch apart. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. Let cool slightly and then remove to cookie rack.

*I keep a jar of bacon grease in my refrigerator. If you don't have any, substitute with butter. Do not use the bacon fat rendered above as the maple and brown sugar used to coat the bacon will effect the color and taste of the bacon grease.

0 comments:

Post a Comment